By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Police still investigating Monday threat at RHHS despite arrest
rhpd logo bigger

A threat made Monday at Richmond Hill High School remains under investigation, despite an arrest in the matter Tuesday night.

“We are still actively investigating the original threat,” said Lt. Brad Sykes of the Richmond Hill Police Department.

A 17-year-old RHHS student was arrested Tuesday night and is currently lodged in the Bryan County Jail. Christian Padilla faces a felony charge of terroristic threats and acts and a misdemeanor charge of dissemination of information relating to terroristic acts.

“The arrest Tuesday night only applies to the social media incident that took place on Tuesday,” Sykes said. “It is possible that the person who was arrested is also responsible for the original threat, but that has not been determined yet.”

The original threat was found Monday afternoon scrawled inside a restroom at the school. It read "I'm done. Don't come to school the 28th or they'll (sic) be consequences. I warned you." 

An Instagram user named "awaiting28" posted photos Tuesday night showing two police officers in front of the high school with a red circle drawn around them and the message "Just wait until they're gone." Another photo showed the original threat with the caption "You think I will stop."

The account, now titled "bobsburgers010203," which has since been made private, looks to be a reference to Feb. 28, which was the date mentioned in the original threat. 

A statement from RHPD Wednesday morning read: “Detectives along with the FBI worked diligently through the night following leads that we received from many sources. As a result, an arrest was made last night in relation to the situation at RHHS.”

Comments on social media late Tuesday night indicated an employee at a fast food restaurant on U.S. 17 near I-95 was taken into custody while at work.

“The investigation is still ongoing and resources will continue to be allocated to the schools,” police said Wednesday morning. “RHPD staff is remaining in contact with school administrators and will continue to do so. This investigation is fluid and there are many tasks that we are conducting. We understand everyone's concern for the safety of our children and the security of our schools and we appreciate everyone's patience.”

Earlier Tuesday, it was announced that RHHS would have classes Wednesday.

"We appreciate your patience as we continue to investigate the threat," the announcement said. "School administrators are working closely with RHPD, and we have taken additional safety measures. School will be in session tomorrow as planned, to include all scheduled extracurricular/athletic events and practices. As always, thank you for your cooperation and support."

Numerous parents kept their students out of school Wednesday.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at (912) 756-5645.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters