Coastal Georgia’s mixed community of civilians and military members formally will observe Memorial Day this weekend by honoring the sacrifice of the fallen and the selfless service of veterans and active-duty military.
Friday, May 27
• The 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division will participate in the Armed Forces Day Festival opening ceremony at 10 a.m. today at Rousakis Plaza on River Street in Savannah.
Sunday, May 29
• Survivor Outreach Services will hold a candlelight vigil at 8 p.m. Sunday, May 29, to honor and remember fallen soldiers. The ceremony will be held at Cottrell Field on Fort Stewart.
Monday, May 30
• The 3rd ID Band Brass Quintet will participate in the Annual American Legion Posts of Chatham County Memorial Day Ceremony at 10 a.m. Monday, May 30, at Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah.
• 3rd ID Commander Maj. Gen. Robert Abrams is the featured speaker for the annual Fred L. Ginter American Legion Post 168 Memorial Day Ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m. Monday at the post home on West Highway 84 in Hinesville. The 3rd ID Band Jazz Ensemble, local high-school ROTC honor guards and two buglers also will participate. For more information, call 876-0168.
• Later on Monday, Abrams will speak at the annual Savannah Vietnam Veterans Association Candlelight Memorial Day Ceremony. A firing party from the 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade and the 3rd ID Band also will participate.
• 3rd ID Chief of Staff Col. Roger Cloutier will speak at the annual Richmond Hill Memorial Day Ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m. Monday in Richmond Hill. The 2nd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 3rd ID will provide a color guard.
• The 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd ID will provide a firing party and fallen-soldier memorial for the annual Sun City Memorial Day Ceremony at 10 a.m. Monday at Sun City in Hilton Head, S.C.
• 3rd Brigade Support Battalion, 1st HBCT, 3rd ID Commander Lt. Col. Miles Townsend will speak at the annual Ladies Auxiliary of the VFW Post 3563 Memorial Day Observance at 3 p.m. Monday at Southeastern Technical College in Vidalia. The 3rd ID band and the 3rd BSB color guard also will participate.