Jan. 4 – Richmond Hill’s High School sailing team wrapped up a successful fall season ranked third in Coastal Georgia.
Jan. 11 – Kala Hires is named the Bryan County News’ December Athlete of the Month. Hires is a senior guard and leader of the RHHS Lady Wildcats basketball team.
Jan. 18 – The Georgia Dugout Club announces former Bryan County baseball coach Albert Lodge will be inducted into the club’s hall of fame.
- Richmond Hill resident Reagan Rogers paces Savannah Christian’s girls in scoring and is a tenacious defender for the Red Raiders, who are vying for a state playoff berth.
Jan. 25 – Richmond Hill’s varsity boys basketball team scratches out its first win of the season on Jan. 20. They beat cross county rival Bryan County 56-37.
Feb. 1 – Richmond Hill’s girls basketball team knocks off St. Vincent’s Academy 36-32 to pull into a tie for third place in Region 3AAA South.
Feb. 8 – Bryan County High School basketball player Liz Cross is named January Bryan County Athlete of the Month.
Feb. 15 – Bryan County High School announces plans to honor former baseball coach Albert Lodge and retire former player Russell Williams’ No. 9 jersey during the annual BCHS alumni baseball game on Feb. 23. Lodge was inducted into the Georgia Dugout Club Hall of Fame on Jan. 20. He won 13 region titles and a state championship at Bryan County and has a career coaching record of 422-193. Williams played for Lodge and went 11-2 as a senior, beating Statesboro’s Joey Hamilton 1-0 in a pitchers’ duel. Hamilton went on to play for Georgia Southern, became a No. 1 draft pick of the San Diego Padres and enjoyed a long career in the major leagues. Williams was drafted by Cincinnati.
- Richmond Hill’s young sailing team gets closer to a district title.
- Richmond Hill’s Lady Wildcats become the only county basketball team to advance to the state playoffs.
Feb. 28 – The Lady Wildcats keep their heads up despite a 70-20 loss to Kendrick-Columbus in the opening round of the state playoffs.
- Richmond Hill’s soccer and baseball teams and Bryan County’s tennis team get off to good starts with wins.
March 7 – Richmond Hill’s Ryan Gregory is chasing a state wrestling title. The Benedictine student has placed third at the state Class AAA wrestling tournament in his weight class in each of the last two seasons.
- Richmond Hill downs Bryan County 10-0 in "The Battle for the Cup." The Wildcats also honor longtime supporter Jim Bayens, who passed away in 2006, with a sign in his honor. His son, former Wildcat coach Mickey Bayens, threw out the first pitch.
March 10 – Richmond Hill native Andy Sharpe was named SSAC Men’s Basketball Coach of the Year on Feb. 28. Sharpe is head coach at Emmanuel College in Franklin Springs, Ga.
- RHRA’s 11-12 girl’s basketball All-Star team advanced to the Georgia Recreation and Parks Association semifinals before falling 38-31 to Dawson County.
March 14 – Bryan County High School’s 1983, 1986 and 2001 state championship softball teams were honored with the placement of signs at the Pembroke City limits on Hwy. 280.
- Bryan County High School basketball player Willie DeLoach is named the Bryan County News’ February Athlete of the Month. DeLoach, a freshman, averaged 9 points a game for the Redskins.
- Richmond Hill’s baseball team scores 40 runs in three games.
- Bryan County High School’s tennis teams roll on while Richmond Hill’s teams begin Region 3AAA play as a favorite to return to state.
March 24 – Richmond Hill’s boys and girls soccer teams even the season series against Region 3AAA rivals St. Vincent’s and Benedictine. The girls downed SVA 2-1 in overtime while the boys topped BC 2-1 in regulation play.
- Bryan County pitcher Wesley Wilkes struck out nine and didn’t allow a hit in the Redskins 4-3 win over Savannah Country Day.
March 28 – Richmond Hill’s golf team bests Liberty County High School and Bradwell Institute in a match at Waterford Landing Golf Club. Wildcat Tyler Steptoe was a low medalist. He carded a 39.
March 31 – Richmond Hill’s boys and girls soccer teams combined to outscore Liberty County 23-0 in a pair of Region 3AAA games. The girls won 14-0 while the boys won 9-0.
- Bryan County High School’s D.J. McElroy won the 110-meter hurdles, long jump and triple jump at a meet against Southeast Bulloch, Savannah Country Day and Calvary Day.
See April-June in Wednesday's issue.