Bryan County emergency management officials announced Monday they are monitoring Tropical Storm Idalia, which is expected to make landfall as a hurricane in Florida on Wednesday. More updates will be available Tuesday, according to Bryan County spokesman Matt Kent.
The Bryan County Emergency Operations Center is activated and is closely monitoring Idalia. Hurricane Franklin is also in the Atlantic Coast and could possibly create additional storm surge for coastal Georgia in the coming days. The exact track of both storms is unpredictable, so at this time Bryan County residents should take the following steps to prepare for a potential of flooding from 4-8 inches of rain in low lying areas and high winds of 40-80 mph.
No closures have been announced at this time.
Bryan County Schools officials are working directly with Bryan County Emergency Services to monitor Tropical Storm Idalia, according to a message sent to parents Monday afternoon.
"The safety of our students and staff continues to be our highest priority as we consider the potential impact of Tropical Storm Idalia in our area. We will continue to actively monitor this storm and notify families of any updates regarding possible school closures."
How to be prepared in advance of a storm:
• Secure loose or lightweight items outside your house or business.
• Keep your vehicles fueled. • Finalize your disaster kit.
• Ensure you have at least 3 days of water and non-perishable foods.
• Ensure you have extra medications and medical supplies.
• If your medication requires refrigeration, ensure you have a plan in place should you lose power for an extended period of time.
• Make sure all information in your family communication plan is up to date and everyone knows the plan. • Make provisions for your pet. Make sure they are inside, out of the elements, and have plenty of food and water.
• Flooding is possible in low lying areas; Turn Around Don't Drown!
• Secure watercraft as storm surge is possible. At this time, no closures are announced.
Sign up for CODERED to get emergency alerts. Look to www.BryanCountyGa.org and Bryan County social media for the most up to date information. For city specific information go to www.richmondhill-ga.gov/ and www.pembrokega.net and their social media.