By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Go Fund Me account set up for fire victims
Donations being accepted in wake of fire that leaves three in North Bryan without home
A fire Sunday displaced three people in North Bryan

 A GoFundMe account has been set up for three North Bryan residents who lost most of their belongings after their home on Highway 80 was destroyed by fire Sunday afternoon.

Here's a link to the GoFundMe page:

Donations also can be mailed or dropped off at the home of Donna Bath at 226 Power Circle Road, Blitchton, 31308.

Bath, a former firefighter, is sister to one of the victims, Ricky Bath. 

His niece, Bryan County Fire and Emergency Services Lt. Victoria Pape, set up the GoFundMe account and is trying to raise $2,000. She said Tuesday her uncle and his two roommates lost everything. One of Bath's roomates, Jack Gardner, is suffering from terminal cancer as well and will return to Florida, Pape said. 

Pape said the community's response to news of the fire has been overwhelming for her family. 

And with Christmas being a week away, the fire is a reminder of the importance of family and community sticking together. 

"That's why I love Bryan County and it's such as great community to live in," she said. "We always seem to come together, especially in a time of need like this."

Those who choose to drop off donations can leave under the carport if no one is at home. The family is also accepting WalMart and Visa gift cards. 

Donations of clothing are also welcome. 

Ricky Bath wears 3XL shirts, pants size 40 by 29/30 or XL sweat pants. He wears size 12 shoes.

Jack wears large shirts, 34x30 pants and size 11-1/2 to 12 shoes. Cindy wears size 7/8 pans, medium shirts and size 6-1/2 shoes.

The three lost their belongings in the fire reportedly caused by cooking left unattended on the stove. 

Bryan County Fire and Emergency Services Director Freddy Howell daid firefighters arrived around 5 p.m. to find smoke and flames visible. Highway 80 had to be closed briefly so fire crews could “operate safely” Howell added.

 “Crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire and salvage some of the property inside,” Howell said. “Only one of the three residents was home at the time of the fire and managed to escape the structure through a window before fire crews arrived. There were no reported injuries at the scene.”

Howell said that Gardner, the only person home when the fire started, was able to get out of the home due to being in a bedroom with a closed door.

“Sleep with your bedroom door closed,” he said. “The bedroom door kept the fire and smoke out of the bedroom giving the resident time to get out of the window.”

Sign up for our E-Newsletters