Several members of the Richmond Hill Middle School Beta Club participated in the annual State Beta Club Convention held at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center Nov. 28 - 30.
Approximately 4,000 students from 155 schools attended.
RHMS Betas received the following awards:
6th Grade Math: Katie Goldrick, Fifth place.
Service Learning Showcase: Maecy Meguiar, Maggie Denton, and Abigail Asante, Fifth place.
Digital Art: Gracie Nix, Fourth place.
Creative Writing: Macaria Hemker, 1st place .
Junior Songfest: RHMS, 1st place.
Junior Songfest is a category where the Club rewrites a familiar song, changes the lyrics, and performs them on stage with choreography without moving their feet. The 1st place win qualifies RHMS to move on to Nationals in Oklahoma in June 2019.
The final and most treasured award is the Junior Beta Club Service Award. Richmond Hill Middle School ranked number 3 out of 155 schools present at the convention with the number of service hours they dedicated to the school and community this past year.
RHMS Betas contribute many hours with various volunteer opportunities such as:
* 6th grade Bootcamp
* #GoGold campaign for selling sunflower petals
* Shave-A-Thon benefitting the CURE during Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
* Packages of Love for the residents of Bryan County Health and Rehabilitation Center
* Canned Food Drive for the Way Station
* Holiday Happiness campaign - writing notes of encouragement to individuals throughout the school
* Flip Flops for Drops for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society,
* Kindness campaign
as well as volunteering for various events across our community such as planting and maintaining trees at RHMS, cleaning up after school dances, the Special Needs Resource Fair, Celebrate the Arts, School Store and Halloween on the Hill.