Within two weeks time, Bryan County residents will be able to use public transportation to take them anywhere within Coastal Georgia for a minimal fee – or anywhere inside the county for $3.
The $2 million program is called Coastal Regional Coaches and is being implemented now in Bryan as well as the nine other Georgia counties from Screven to Camden by the Coastal Regional Commission of Georgia (CRC), formerly known as the Coastal Georgia Regional Development Center (CGRDC). The group began planning for the program in 2005 and just received funding for it."We’re very excited about the implementation of this program, which should prove to be a huge asset to the residents of Coastal Georgia – especially those that are elderly or low income households," said Barbara Hurst with the CRC. "The time is right for this program – with so many people being laid off and not having enough money for fuel and insurance."
Hurst said everything is just about in place and targets "mid-August" as the time frame to launch the transit program. This entails 60 vans and busses being contracted for use. Here are some quick facts about the new program:
- Riders must call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a pick-up. The toll free number is (866) 543-6744.
- Coastal Regional Coaches will pick you up at your residence and deliver you directly to wherever you want to go within Coastal Georgia.
- The service is available to anyone who lives or works in Coastal Georgia and can be utilized for any purpose.
- Cost is $3 for one-way or $6 for round trip within Bryan County. If travelling outside the county, a $3 charge is added to each county line that is crossed.
- The service is to be available Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Read more in the print edition of the Bryan County News.