The Richmond Hill Fire Department is offering tips to keep you safe this holiday season.
First, be sure to have a qualified technician install and maintain all home heating equipment, and have a qualified technician inspect and clean boilers, furnaces, water heaters and chimneys yearly.
Always keep a glass or metal screen in front of your fire place when using it and be sure the fire is completely out before going to bed.
Never use a kitchen oven or gas range to heat a home or apartment.
Be sure to inspect extension cords to make sure they are not cracked or frayed and never use broken bulbs on a Christmas tree. Be sure all outlets and switches have cover plates, and never use items such as electric blankets that do not carry the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) mark.
Always buy electric space heaters with an automatic shut-off and never use an extension cord. Keep at least three feet away from bedding or other combustible material. Never use them in bathroom or near other water sources, and always turn them off and unplug them before going to bed.
Alarms: Regularly check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in working order.