By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Mother-son death still under investigation
Boy withdrawn from local schools in January
Placeholder Image

Authorities have not yet released the identity of two people found dead Monday in Richmond Hill in what looks to have been a murder-suicide involving a mother and her young son.

Many details remain sketchy, but Richmond Hill Police Chief Billy Reynolds confirmed various reports that the victims were mother and child and were discovered in their Mainstreet subdivision home by the boy’s father.

Reynolds said late Tuesday the department was still trying to notify the victims’ family members.

While the child’s identity has not been publicly released, the school system learned the boy had previously been enrolled in Bryan County Schools, where he attended kindergarten and half of his first-grade year, according to Bryan County Board of Education Chairman Eddie Warren. 

Warren said the boy left the school system in January.

“By our records, the boy was withdrawn January 2013 and moved out of state,” he said.

Some reports have said the family was military, but RHPD has not confirmed that.

According to the initial RHPD release, officers responding to a report of a possible suicide found two people dead around 8:30 a.m. at a Bristol Way address in Mainstreet.

The RHPD is investigating the case along with assistance from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

If the deaths were the result of a murder-suicide, it would be the third in the county since 2010. In May of that year, Jeffrey Minor, 49, shot his wife, Gail Minor, 50, at their home on Highway 144 in South Bryan, then fired shots at a neighboring house before setting fire to his home and shooting himself.

Sheriff Clyde Smith said at the time that authorities didn’t know what caused Minor to shoot himself.

More recently, Bryan County News columnist Shirley Davis Heirs, a well-known Richmond Hill native, was shot and killed by her boyfriend, Richard Earl Bates, who then killed himself in August 2011 at the couple’s home on Mimosa Street.

Police found no motive for the shooting. 

Sign up for our E-Newsletters