By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
What to do with Hermines left overs
Storm 0902 010
Tree branches and other debris like those seen at J.F. Gregory Park Saturday morning are a concern for many residents across Bryan County. - photo by Ted O'Neil

Most residents of Bryan County have at least some reminders of Tropical Storm Hermine’s visit strewn across their yard.

The city of Richmond Hill offers yard waste collection on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and residents can place limbs and other yard debris at the curb for collection. Assistant City Manager Scott Allison said this morning that the city will decide whether or not to add an additional collection day after assessing the amount of debris today.

For residents in the unincorporated portion of Bryan County, items such as limbs can be dropped off at the two Republic Waste Services locations. A bulk rate is charged for this service. Call Republic at (912) 964-2211 for hours and locations.

Pembroke City Clerk Sharroll Fanslau said public works crews spent the weekend picking up limbs and branches and making sure roadways were clear. She added that if anyone in the city has large limbs or branches that need to be removed they can contact city hall at (912) 653-4413.

Bryan County Emergency Services Chief Freddy Howell said residents in the unincorporated portion of the county can also burn yard debris if they follow certain recommendations.

First, call the Georgia Forestry Commission at (877) 652-2876 to obtain a burn permit. More information can be found at

Permits are available only for burning natural vegetation. Household garbage and building materials cannot be burned.

Howell also said residents should make sure burn piles are small and are at least 50 feet away from any structure. Burn only when the wind speed is lower than 15 mph, have a garden hose available to wet the area if needed and never leave a fire unattended.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters