By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Family loses home, pet to fire
Placeholder Image

A mobile home fire Sunday afternoon in North Bryan killed a family dog and left a mother and son homeless.
The blaze in the 100 block of Mulberry Park Court in Ellabell was reported just before 3 p.m., according to Bryan County Emergency Services Battalion Fire Chief Otis Willis.
The home belonged to Kathy White and her 20-year-old son. According to the chief, no one was injured in the fire, but a family pet dog was killed when it ran into the interior of the home out of reach of firefighters.
Willis said when crews arrived they found three-fourths of the home engulfed in flames.
Firefighters entered the home in an attempt to extinguish it from the inside, he said, but had to vacate the structure when it became unsafe and the roof began to sag. They doused the home with water from the outside.
Willis said around 14 firefighters fought the fire for more than an hour before it was deemed under control.
Willis said the fire is believed to have started in the kitchen area and was possibly the result of an electrical problem in the 20-year-old home.
Willis noted the Red Cross was called to assist the family.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters