Welcome to the month of December.
As we enter this final month of 2010 and begin to celebrate the holiday seasons of Hanukkah, Christmas and Kwanzaa, we all get so busy with shopping, decorating, writing cards, wrapping gifts and baking cookies with the kids. We gather with family and friends and sing carols and raise a glass for Old Lang Syne. We sit and reflect on the year that has passed and the many events it brought forth.
We think of family and friends who are not with us anymore or are still in far away places defending our great nation. For some, the holidays are a difficult time, so be sure to reach out to them and help them gather the strength to make it through the days ahead.
If only we could step back and always see the world through the magic and innocence of a child’s eyes. What a beautiful world it would be.
That is my wish for each of you this holiday season. May the scent of fresh cut pine and warm baked cookies and the magic of seeing a flying reindeer or a singing snowman, always fill your heart.
So please enjoy yourself with family and friends, and reach out to someone who may need a hand or a shoulder. Grab a jacket and put on some comfortable shoes and take advantage of the holiday events of coastal Georgia.
Each new day brings with it a new discovery. So be sure to venture off your normal path and enjoy some of the following events and festivities:
• A Christmas Tradition Music Variety, Savannah Theater, 8 p.m., $35, 912-233-7764
• annual Gospel Music Awards, Savannah Johnny Mercer Theater, 6:30 p.m., $10, 912-651-6556.
• Pearl Harbor Day, http://www.history.com/topics/pearl-harbor.
• Hinesville Christmas in the Park, Downtown Bradwell Park, 5:30- 8:30 p.m., tree lighting, Santa.
• Downtown Hinesville Open House, $500 shopping spree contest.
• Pink Heal Firefighter Ball, Hunter Club, 6 p.m. to midnight, $25 single/$35 couple, 575-571-3941.
• Hinesville Illuminated Christmas Parade, downtown, 6:30 p.m.
• Ft. Stewart Winter Special Olympics, Marne Lanes, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., 912-767-5058.
• City Market Holiday Open House, Savannah, 6-9 p.m., free, Enjoy lights, carolers and food.
• Ft. Stewart Holiday Hayride, 6-9 p.m., $1-$5, 912-435-8205.
• Christmas Tea at Midway Museum, Midway, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., $3 - $5.
• Wreaths for Warriors Walk Ceremony, Cottrell Field, noon, www.w4ww.org.
• Holiday Tour of Homes, Historic Savannah, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5-8 p.m., $30, www.dnaholidaytour.net.
• Hunter Holiday Hayride, 6-9 p.m., $1-$5, 912-315-9354.
• Colonial Christmas, Wormsloe Historic Site Savannah, 1-4 p.m., $3.50-$5, 912-353-3023.
• Holiday Brunch, Club Stewart, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., $12.95-$14.95, $2 off advance, 912-368-2212.
• Holiday Tour of 5 Inns, Historic Savannah, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., $20, www.dnaholidaytour.net.
• Liberty County Mass Choir, Hinesville First United Methodist Church on Main Street, 6 p.m., free.
• The Philharmonic Christmas, Savannah Cathedral of St John, 8 p.m., $35-$100, 912-525-5050.
• Davenport House Candlelight Tours, Savannah, 6-8:30 p.m., $8-$10, 912-236-8097.
• Southern Nights Music Variety, Savannah Theater, 8 p.m., $35, 912-233-7764.
• New Year’s Eve Party, Club Stewart, 9 p.m. to 3 a.m., $20 advance, $25 at door, 912-368-2212 .
• New Year’s Eve Cruise, Savannah Riverboat Cruise, various packages, $49-$165, 912-232-6404.
You can check out all of the above local events and many others in the surrounding area by checking out the Fort Stewart website, Quality Time Magazine or Quality Time Calendar. You can also follow the 3rd Infantry Division on Facebook and Twitter.
Now and during the holiday season, be cognizant of your surroundings. Always lock your doors and windows, leave a light on in the house and watch out for your neighbors. Help take a bite out of crime and report any suspicious activity.
Enjoy your time with family and friends but always be safe. If you travel during the holidays, assess weather conditions, abide by the laws and take driving breaks. Safety is your mission. We want to see you through a winter full of fun and adventure.
Muncher is a former information management director for the Fort Stewart Network Enterprise Center
Welcome to the month of December.