As Bryan County children head back to school in the coming weeks, the Bryan County Emergency Services reminds motorists to take extra precaution when travelling in school zones.
When schools are in session, children will be walking or riding their bicycles to and from school - many of them during the busiest time of the day, when motorists are travelling to work or home after a tiring day.
The Bryan County Emergency Services offer the following tips:
Reminders for motorists:
• Slow down. Observe the speed limit in school zones at all times.
• Be especially careful when driving on neighborhood streets and around school zones. Always expect the unexpected.
• Be alert for youngsters walking to and from school while backing out of the driveway or leaving the garage.
• Watch for children on bicycles, especially at intersections and driveways.
• Stop the car when lights are flashing on a school bus. Red flashing lights indicate that the bus is stopped and students are getting on or off. Don’t start driving until the red lights stop flashing. Be aware that a child may dash across the street.
Safety tips for pedestrians:
• Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, always walk facing traffic.
• Wear bright color clothing to increase visibility.
• Cross only at corners or marked crosswalks.
• Stop at the curb or the edge of the road.
• Walk in groups; there is safety in numbers. Groups are more likely to be seen by drivers.
• Stop and look left, then right, then left again, before stepping into the street.
• Upon seeing a car, wait until it goes by. Then look left, right and left again until no cars are coming.
Safety tips for bicyclist:
• Wear a helmet.
• Be sure to have reflectors on your pedals, frame and wheels.
• Be seen, be aware, and be predictable.
• Follow the rules of the road. Ride on the right, with the traffic, in single file. Obey stop signs and traffic lights. Never cross a street without looking for cars. Give the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks. Walk a bicycle on sidewalks whenever pedestrians are around.