High school coaches at Bryan County High School and Richmond Hill High School were recently asked what their plans were for the July 4 holiday and, also, what makes the holiday special to them.
Here’s how they responded:
Al Butler, BCHS softball
1.As far away from distractions as humanly possible and, 2. Any holiday with my family is special. The where and what doesn’t matter. It’s the who that makes it special.
Ellizabeth Bennett, RHHS girls’ basketball
1. The 4th of July is always a relaxing week in the Bennett house. Since my husband and I are both coaches and July 4th is dead week we take advantage and relax!
2. The Fourth of July is a big holiday for my family. We all gather at my family’s lake house in Ohio to eat and watch fireworks. This year will be very special because it will be our last Fourth of July on the lake for everyone has moved south! After many decades and many generations enjoying the Fourth of July we will celebrate the Fourth, our family and the home one last time.
1. I will be hanging with my family at a lake house in Ohio. 2. This is one of the only times during the year we get to spend quality time with family that live up there. It’s also a much needed break from the heat!
RHHS boys’ basketball
My plans for the Fourth of July are to spend time with my wife and family, and the holiday is special for me because it’s a day to reflect on and celebrate what a blessing it is to live in America and also to remember the men and women that have fought and continue to fight for our country and freedom.
Blake Nesmith, BCHS track
1. I will be spending July Fourth celebrating my 30th birthday with my wife and family.
2. My favorite thing about July Fourth, besides the fact its my birthday, is watching fireworks That’s something I’ve enjoyed since I was a kid.
1. My husband and I will be spending the Fourth of July holiday with my family in Ohio. It has been a family tradition before i was even born to go camping with my parents and their friends and their families at a private lake house with lots of land. Everyone just pitches their tents and enjoys a few days together celebrating our country’s freedom and independence. We enjoy each others company hanging out, boating, swimming and fishing in the lake. We have a bonfire and fireworks at night together.
2. Seven years ago my husband proposed to me at this lake house camping tradition on the Fourth of July.