By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Second arrest pending in Pembroke stabbing
Placeholder Image

A second arrest is now underway after a stabbing in Pembroke led to one woman’s arrest June 28, according to the Pembroke Police Department.

Det. John Woodcock said he now has a warrant to arrest Thomas Shellman, 35, who was the victim in the June 27 stabbing.

Amy Sheree McGirt, 25, was picked up in Ellabell the day after the stabbing, after reportedly attacking Shellman, her boyfriend, in a trailer near the Leggett’s Stop and Go on North Main Street. Woodcock said she has been released on a property bond.

Shellman will be charged with simple battery and criminal trespassing, under the Family Violence Act.

"Due to the property damage, which was about $500, during an act of family violence you can then charge a suspect with criminal trespassing," Woodcock said.

In response to the simple battery charge, Woodcock said he could not say whether or not McGirt had acted in self defense when she stabbed Shellman.

Reporting Officer Gregory Atwood said when he arrived at the trailer last week, he spoke with Shellman, who confirmed McGirt had stabbed him. EMS took Shellman to Memorial Hospital after he sustained three stab wounds to his back and neck. He has since been released.

Inside the trailer, Atwood said he found "broken glass on the floor, the TV thrown into the floor and the house a total wreck," his report said.

PPD Chief Collins said the stabbing was the result of a domestic dispute and Woodcock said it was "a heck of a fight."

The original police report also indicated an incident of cruelty to children in the second degree.

"There were two children at home, one belonged to (Shellman) and one belonged to (McGirt)," Woodcock said, and Collins noted the environment of the home was putting the children in danger.

The Department of Family and Children Services was called in after the stabbing and took the children away from the scene. Woodcock said a family member had since taken the children into custody.



Sign up for our E-Newsletters