Will it snow in Bryan County this week? The National Weather Service thinks it will.
They are also calling for accumulations of ice, which could make for hazardous conditions Tuesday night and Wednesday.
Here is the advisory from the National Weather Service:
.. Winter Storm Watch now in effect from Tuesday afternoon
through Wednesday afternoon...
* locations... inland southeast Georgia... including the Savannah
* Hazard types... freezing rain... snow and sleet.
* Accumulations... significant and damaging ice accumulations of
1/4 to 1/2 inch... perhaps locally higher. 1/2 to 1 inch of snow
* Impacts... significant ice... snow and sleet accumulation will
create dangerous or impossible driving conditions for everyone
including first responders. Damage to trees... power lines and
even structures is possible. Widespread power outages could
produce life threatening situations.
* Timing... Tuesday into Tuesday evening precipitation is expected
to transition to freezing rain and sleet as much colder air
spreads from north to south across the region. Then... precipitation
could mix with or change to snow overnight Tuesday into early
Wednesday... especially inland. Precipitation could taper off
Wednesday or could linger into Wednesday night.
* Wind chill readings... lowest in the mid and upper teens late
Tuesday night and early Wednesday.
Now is the time to prepare for this winter storm. Once the storm
begins... conditions will deteriorate rapidly and travel will
become dangerous or impossible. Prepare to remain in a safe
shelter without electricity for several days. Obtain vital
supplies such as potable water... non-perishable food... medicine...
batteries... flashlights... a battery powered radio and an
alternate heat source such as a generator... non- electric space
heater or wood for your fireplace.