By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fires destroy pair of mobile homes
Placeholder Image

Two Bryan County mobile homes went up in flames within one day of each other last weekend – one on the north end and one on the south end.

No injuries were reported.

Michael Bacon’s mobile home at 321 W.E. Smith Road in Pembroke caught fire around 4 a.m. on May 15, according to Pembroke Fire Chief Jimmy Cook. Cook said Bacon was asleep on his couch when the flames ignited and awoke when his smoke detector sounded. Bacon immediately exited the residence.

Cook said his department quickly extinguished the fire, but it rekindled a few hours later. The fire again was put out, but Bacon "lost everything," according to Cook.

Cook said it is a mystery as to how the fire was rekindled. As for the initial fire, he said the fire marshal reports it was most likely ignited by crossed wires within the air conditioning unit, which had been hit by lightning a month prior.

The following day, a fire ignited at a double wide on Oak Level Road in the south end of the county around 6 a.m. Firefighter Ed Wills said the family of five residing there exited safely.

"Even their pets escaped injury," Wills said. "They had one dog and several ferrets."

Wills said the South Bryan Fire Department extinguished the fire quickly, but that the home was destroyed, including extensive damage to the kitchen area.

Additional information was unavailable.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters