By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Beating victim remains in hospital
Placeholder Image

No arrest had been made as of Thursday in the June 8 beating of 70-year-old Pembroke resident Devon Morris.

Morris has yet to be interviewed due to his medical condition. Pembroke Police Department Chief Mark Crowe is hopeful the interview will lead to arrest warrants in the case.

Morris is currently unable to speak due to being on a ventilator. He was moved this week from Memorial to Candler.

He is suffering from pneumonia as well as emphysema and numerous lacerations to his head and face that he sustained in the attack.

On June 8, Morris was reportedly attacked while lying in his bed.

Crowe said three people entered and ransacked the home in the early morning hours after breaking out the back window.

Morris reportedly was asleep when he was attacked and woke to find he was being beaten with objects lying around his bedroom, including a hammer and a fan.

Crowe said it will "probably be a couple more days until we’re able to interview. There is some improvement in his condition."

Morris’s friend and Pembroke resident Gina Morgan said she does not know when Morris can come home, but he faces another problem when he is released.

Morgan said, due to the roof apparently caving in and a pipe that had burst, the home Morris owns on South Main Street has been temporarily condemned and Morris can not re-enter until repairs are made. Morgan also said, if Morris is to remain on a ventilator after his hospital release, "there’s no nursing home in the state of Georgia that will accept someone on a ventilator. His only other option would be the VA Hospital, but there’s a lengthy waiting list for that."

Morgan said Morris has no family that she knows of and Morris is living on social security, "which barely covers his medications." She said there is talk of doing some fundraising efforts in the city to try to raise money to get the roof and plumbing repaired at Morris’s residence.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters