Follow this simple recipe and you’ll have a delicious homemade apple pie ready for your holiday table in just over half an hour.
1 frozen deep-dish piecrust
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 large egg white
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 pounds Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and/or Gala apples, each cored, peeled, and cut into 8 wedges
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 375 F. While crust is thawing at room temperature for 15 minutes, mix pecans, flour and brown sugar in bowl. Work in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
2. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Immediately brush bottom and sides of hot crust with light coating of egg white. Reset oven to 425 F.
3. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Toss in apples and lemon juice. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on high 12 minutes, stirring halfway through. Spoon filling into crust. Sprinkle pecan topping over filling.
4. Bake pie 10 to 12 minutes or until topping is golden. Cool on wire rack. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Serves 10.
TIP: For a true homemade presentation, use our trick to remove the crust from its foil pan and place in a 9-inch pie plate: Gently fold back foil around edge of frozen crust and pull slightly on the crust to remove from foil. Transfer to pie plate and thaw as directed. With fingertips, press lightly on thawed dough to mold into shape of pie plate.
• Each serving: About 290 calories, 12g total fat (3g saturated), 3g protein, 43g carbohydrate, 7mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 3g dietary fiber.