Dr. Lawrence Butler, The Bridge Church, Pembroke
This is the fifth in a series of lessons from the Book of Jonah:
THE LACK OF PRAYER:
Notice the absence of prayer in the life of Jonah. He never prayed…
1. When God called him to go to Nineveh
2. When he decided to go to Joppa instead
3. When he decided to catch a ship
4. When he decided to go to Tarshish
5. When he decided to go down into the ship and sleep
6. When he was awakened by others to pray
7. Even when he saw the storm
8. Even when he confessed that he was running from God
9. Even when the sailors tried to save him and the ship
10. Even when they were about to throw him overboard
Only after he had arrived in the belly of the whale, and been there perhaps a little while, did Jonah pray.
What will it take for us to pray? Our God is a God of second chances!! Remember: Abraham (the liar), Moses (the murderer), Peter (the denier), Thomas (the doubter) Jonah was given a second chance to carry God’s message to Nineveh, and he did so.
The result was a tremendous revival!