By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Police called to referee spat at condo work site
Placeholder Image

Disorderly conductJan. 24 – An "unruly employee" was reported at the River Oaks subdivision after the complainant said he and the man had a disagreement about repairing a lawn tractor being used on the job site. He said he also confronted the alleged offender about smelling like alcohol and told him he’d take him to Memorial for a drug and alcohol test.

According to the complainant, the offender refused and became belligerent, "cursing near the River Oaks business office," the report described. He told police he didn’t want the man arrested but would require him to take the drug and alcohol test. When police talked to the offender, he said the complainant was being racially biased against him, never asking any of the Hispanic workers to take a drug test. He also said his boss consistently harasses him about smelling like alcohol while he’s on the clock. The officer told the man if he didn’t take the test, he would have to leave the site. "I ain’t taking no test," was his reply according to the report, and he walked away. The complainant requested talking to him one more time about taking the test and remaining employed, but by the time he and the officer went to find the man, he was gone.


Fraud/flim flam

Jan. 25 – A woman was hired through the internet for a job where she was to take FedEx or UPS-sent money orders and cash them at the bank. She was to keep 10 percent and mail back the rest. The bank she went to was Wachovia on Hwy. 17, where she said the bank has been taken for $17,000. She called police, who took the money orders, cashiers checks and envelopes. The woman said she also had numerous emails of contact with the company and was advised to contact her attorney.



Jan. 25 – Someone allegedly went down Hall Street, writing on vehicle windows with a wax-type writing implement commonly used on glass. A resident called to report the vandalism on his car, which said "Why drive this?"

The officer said after looking around the neighborhood, several other cars had similar writing on their windows. During investigation, the officer said he noticed a vehicle on Young Way and the homeowner said it belonged to her daughter. Apparently, the officer believed the girl to have made the writings. After explaining the situation, the woman said the writing would be removed before the morning. Two hours later, the officer returned to find the writing had been removed from all the vehicles and the complainant said he was satisfied with the results.



Jan. 26 – A Ford was pulled over when the officer noticed the passenger didn’t have a seatbelt on. Additionally, the officer reported seeing the vehicle travel over the fog line three times. He went over to the driver’s side door, which he found to be inoperable, so he went around to the passenger side, the report said. The driver said he didn’t have his license, it was at home, but provided an ID card that showed he was 19-years-old. The officer said the driver appeared to have glossy eyes and smelled of alcohol. When asked, the man said had drunk one beer. He took a field breath test which came back .076 BAC, and he was arrested. The passenger blew a .028 BAC and was also arrested. The driver was cited for DUI under age 21, seatbelt violation and failure to maintain his lane, with a 30-day driving permit. The passenger was cited with possession of alcohol by a minor under the city ordinance.


Simple battery

Jan. 25 – Police were sent to the Knights Inn after a 911 hang up call. Upon arrival, the reporting officer said he was met by an intoxicated woman and man. Both allegedly tried to convince the officers that it was just an argument and they didn’t need police involvement. The report noted scratches and blood on the faces of both the man and woman. "In spontaneous statements, both parties admitted to having hit one another over sexual requests not being honored," the report said. They both declined EMS. Due to their intoxication levels, police arrested them both for simple battery.


Fire at

Jan. 20 – A woman said her and her husband had started a fire in their fireplace earlier that evening. A few hours later, they thought the fire was completely out and began putting the ashes in a trash can. Minutes later, they noticed the can was on fire and the house was filling with smoke. They were able to extinguish the flames and called 911. The RHFD arrived and ventilated the house.



Jan. 20 – A 911 call was placed by the complainant who said she had locked herself in the upstairs bedroom after her house alarm went off at 3 a.m. When police arrived, they found the back door open slightly. They cleared the entire house and then examined the back door to see if there were any signs of forced entry. The door appeared fine, according to the report, and the woman said everything in the house seemed to be in order. The complainant said she had taken her dog out earlier that night and it was possible that she had forgotten to lock the door when she returned. The strong winds may have pushed the door open and triggered the alarm, the report said.


Matter of record

Jan. 18 – A woman called to report that her ex-husband had taken her daughter. The woman said her husband entered the home and took their 11-month-old and left. When questioned, police found that the couple was still married and the little girl was still technically living at the marital residence. She was told the incident was a civil matter and without paperwork from a judge, both her and her husband had equal rights to the home and their child.


Fire at

Jan. 24 – Police were sent to Sterling Drive in regard to a possible structure fire. Upon arrival, the reporting officer said he could see smoke coming from the front door, indicating the fire was inside the residence. He verified there were no people or animals inside the home and turned the scene over to the RHFD. They later said there hadn’t been a fire but it seemed a heater in the attic started to overheat and melt some wiring in the attic.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters