An early morning fire Friday destroyed a home on Daniel Siding Loop Road, according to Chief Otis Willis with the Bryan County Fire Department.
For nearly four hours, firefighters from both the Bryan County Fire Department and the Richmond Hill Fire Department worked to get the fire under control, Willis said, but were unable to save the home.
The homeowner, Beverly Floyd, was at home when the blaze started just after 2 a.m., he said. She heard a loud pop and found the living room and kitchen areas filled with smoke. Willis said officials believe this is where the blaze started.
“We’re still trying to determine (a cause), but it appears to be accidental,” he said. “There’s no indication of any suspicious activity, so we’re pretty certain it was accidental.”
Willis said Floyd and her dog made it safely out of the home with no injuries other than emotional damage. However, two pet birds inside the home were killed, he said.
“It looks like (the birds) were overcome by smoke inhalation,” Willis said.
No other homes were damaged by the fire, Willis said, but Floyd’s car, which was in the driveway, was also totally destroyed. Willis said Floyd was in the process of remodeling the home and had no insurance. The American Red Cross was contacted to assist her with getting back on her feet.