ATLANTA — Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens and the National Fire Protection Association are reminding Georgians that Fire Prevention Week is Oct. 7-13, with the theme of, “Have Two Ways Out!”
Hudgens offered the following tips:
• Install working smoke alarms on every level and inside and outside of each sleeping area.
• Develop an escape plan that identifies two ways out of each room and a family meeting place outside.
• Make sure your plan allows for any specific needs in your household.
• Practice using the plan at least twice a year.
• Some studies have shown that some children and adults may not awaken to the sound of a smoke alarm; they may need help waking up.
• If the smoke alarm sounds, go to your closest exit, and if you run into smoke, turn and use another way out. If one must exit through smoke, one should get low and go under the smoke to the exit. Don’t take time to pick up belongings. Move fast but stay calm.
For more information, call 404-657-0831.