By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire heavily damages Chinese restaurant in Richmond Hill
Richmond Hill Fire Department

A fire heavily damaged the kitchen area of The Beijing House on Tuesday afternoon.

According to Richmond Hill fire Chief Ralph Catlett, an employee had forgotten to set a timer on a smoker used to cook spare ribs at the restaurant in Ford Plaza.

Smoke started to pour from the smoker. When an employee opened the device, flames shot out, catching the kitchen walls on fire.

Catlett said the fire occurred around 2 p.m. and Richmond Hill firefighters were able to bring it under control quickly before the fire spread. No one was injured.

Catlett said the restaurant will be closed temporarily while repairs are made. 


Sign up for our E-Newsletters