By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Secretary of Defense awaits drawdown plans
Recent setbacks haven't changed Afghan strategy
Placeholder Image

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Tuesday he was awaiting details from Gen. John Allen, the top commander in Afghanistan, on his plan for bringing home the remaining 23,000 troops sent to Afghanistan during the 2010 surge.

After the weekend's mass killing of Afghan civilians in the southern province of Kandahar, allegedly by an Army staff sergeant, Panetta and other top administration officials said it would have no effect on the war strategy. That does not mean, however, that the planned troop withdrawal won't be accelerated at some stage.

Panetta, speaking to reporters on a flight to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, said that despite recent setbacks, including the burning of Qurans by U.S. soldiers last month and the massacre of 16 Afghan civilians over the weekend, allegedly by a U.S. soldier, there has been no change in plans to complete a troop withdrawal by the end of 2014.

Allen said on Monday that there are about 90,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan now. He said he plans to bring out 23,000 of those by the end of September, as required by President Barack Obama, but Panetta has yet to endorse that exact schedule.

Obama has given Allen no orders on specific troop withdrawals beyond September, except to say there will be a "steady pace" of withdrawals between now and the end of 2014, when Afghan forces are to be fully in charge of the country's security.

The New York Times reported Tuesday that the administration is considering a range of options for further troop reductions after September. One option is for at least 10,000 more to come home by the end of December, and then 10,000 to 20,000 more by June 2013, the Times reported, citing unnamed administration officials.

Asked about the Times report, Pentagon press secretary George Little, who is traveling with Panetta, said, "The analysis on drawdown scenarios isn't yet complete, and the secretary (Panetta) has not been presented with options. It's premature to speculate on any drawdowns beyond those associated with U.S. surge forces in Afghanistan."

Earlier, Panetta said he had not yet seen details of Allen's plan for a drawdown this summer.

"What I am awaiting are General Allen's plans with regards to taking down the remaining 23,000 from the surge," Panetta said. "And, we'll review those plans."

Sign up for our E-Newsletters
Exchange Service salutes Vietnam vets with custom truck design
Army and Air Force Exchange Service redesigned logo 2011

To thank Vietnam veterans for their sacrifices, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service is debuting a new truck design, part of the Department of Defense retailer’s efforts alongside the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration to honor veterans during the 50th anniversary of the war.

“The Exchange is privileged to have the opportunity to recognize Vietnam veterans through our fleet,” said Exchange Director/CEO Tom Shull, who served in the Army during the Vietnam era. “These trucks will serve as rolling billboards, expressing gratitude for all who served during this era.”

The truck design features the silhouette of a lone service member set against the background of a faded horizon with a call to “thank a Vietnam veteran for service to our nation.” The single military member represents the warfighters who served during this time.

Three trucks in the fleet feature the commemorative design and will deliver merchandise to Exchange stores from the organization’s distribution centers in the continental United States.

The West Coast Distribution Center at Sharpe Army Depot in California; Dan Daniel Distribution Center in Newport News, Va.; and the Waco Distribution Center in Texas will each have a truck in service on their standard delivery routes, serving the whole country.

Air Force veteran Pat Thompson served in Vietnam before coming to the Exchange as a truck driver and mechanic. In his 18 years with the Exchange, he has deployed four times to support the troops. The new design means a lot to him.

“They remember,” said Thompson, who is based at the Exchange’s Waco Distribution Center. “We want to be remembered.”

The trucks also highlight the veteran online shopping benefit, which launched in November. The lifelong online military exchange benefit authorizes all who served honorably to enjoy tax-free shopping and exclusive military pricing at ShopMyExchange.com.

The United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration is a program administered by the Office of the Secretary of Defense to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War. The U.S. began commemoration of the Vietnam War’s 50th anniversary in 2012 and will continue through Veterans Day 2025.

The Exchange is a 50th Anniversary Vietnam War Commemorative Partner, planning and conducting events and activities that recognize Vietnam veterans and their families for service, valor and sacrifice in conjunction with the commemoration.

Latest Obituaries