By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
County looks at paving priorities at workshop
Commissioners creating wish list if TSPLOSt passes
Placeholder Image

At a workshop before the April 10 regularly scheduled county commission meeting, Bryan County Commissioners discussed what road projects may be best suited for the estimated $1.3 million per year expected from the Transportation Investment Act if it’s approved by voters.

A referendum on TIA, also commonly referred to as a TSPLOST, or transportation special purpose local option sales tax, is set for July 31. If passed by voters, the TIA through a new 1 percent sales tax would generate billions of dollars for infrastructure improvements in the 10-county Coastal Region, which includes Bryan County.

Each county in the Coastal Region will get 25 percent of the funds raised, while the remaining 75 percent will go towards regional projects. Bryan County’s share, according to County Administrator Phil Jones, would be around $1.3 million a year, or around $110,000 per month, for 10 years.

Jones said if the TIA is approved in July, the county should see funds within the following 60-90 days. Before projects could be started, funds would have to be built up, he added.

Some of the resurfacing and repaving projects commissioners discussed include Bacontown Road, Wildwood Church Road and Mill Creek Church Road in North Bryan, along with McGregor Circle, Rathlin Road and Riverbend Road in South Bryan

Sign up for our E-Newsletters