The Annual Richmond Hill Tour of Homes will be on Dec. 2, from 1-5 p.m. The tour features the Historical Society Museum, two historic churches and five private homes, including Indian Bluff. Chairperson Teresa Timmons recently released this third home in the tour. Indian Bluff, which encompasses three buildings, is located on Tivoli Trail in Richmond Hill.
Indian Bluff is a 25-acre marsh front paradise, once owned by the legendary Jim Williams, the noted Savannah collector made famous in the acclaimed Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
Williams acquired the property in 1980. In 1981, Williams bought a farmhouse, which had been built in 1846 and was previously located in Savannah. This structure was separated to form two buildings, which now sit near one another overlooking the marsh and creek. Both buildings were restored by Williams, for use as a get-away for family and friends.
A third building, which he named the India Room, was built using antique materials. This one-room house sits in a wooded area a short distance from the other two houses and was used as Williams’ party house.
When viewing the property, one gets a sense of what life was like when Williams brought his love of nature and life to this secluded and rustic site. This year’s holiday decorations for Indian Bluff are courtesy of Arts on the Coast.
The Tour of Homes is the culminating event for the weekend-long hometown celebration that begins with a chili cook-off Friday night, Nov. 30, and the Christmas parade on Saturday, Dec. 1.
The tour will include the St. Anne Catholic Church, which will be providing a tea time during the tour. Maps for all stopovers will be included on the tickets, which are $20 in advance or $25 on Dec. 2, tea is included in the ticket price.
Tickets can be purchased at the Historical Society Museum, by calling 756-3697, or via mail to the museum at P.O. Box 1067, Richmond Hill, GA 31322 and tickets can be picked up at earliest convenience or the day of the tour. All proceeds from sales are divided by the Richmond Hill Garden Club, Friends of the Library, the Historical Society and the St. Anne Catholic Church.