By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire at Georgia Pacific put out
Placeholder Image

A structure fire at Georgia Pacific on Hwy 204 Thursday around 8:30 p.m. was put out without any injuries, authorities said.

It was unclear what sparked the fire, but according to Donald Mobley, a security officer at Georgia Pacific, it appears rats were chewing wires on a big electrical box at one of the old saw buildings that has not been in use for about 16 years.

"It was a big electrical box, but a small fire, thank goodness," he said. "The fire department responded fast and put it out quickly."

Bryan County Emergency Services Director Jim Anderson said Friday the investigation revealed nothing conclusive, but rats chewing around the box may have caused the blaze.

The electrical box was the only thing damaged in the small fire, he said.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters