Alex Floyd, Special to the News.
Over 60 people, ages 6 months to 93, were treated to a beautiful day for fellowship at Taylors Creek Cemetery Sunday.
Gathering on the third Sunday in October just as their ancestors did as far back as the 1840’s is a tradition near and dear to the hearts of the descendants of the Taylors Creek Community. In 1807, Taylors Creek Methodist Church was founded in the sparsely settled upper district of Liberty County. After flooding forced them to higher ground, a new church was erected in 1841.
By then the community had grown and prospered into self-sustaining farms, an Academy, blacksmiths, wheelwrights and other agriculture centered activity.
By the turn of the 20th century, Taylors Creek was home to nearly 300 people and a hub of the local turpentine industry.
In 1942, the entire community and the nearby African American communities of Strum Bay and Pleasant Grove were removed by the United States military for the creation of Fort Stewart Military Reservation. The buildings including the 101 year old church were dismantled leaving only the cemetery and a few live oaks to mark its place. Descendants return however once a year to pay their respects, share family history notes and photos, break bread (and lots of fried chicken) together and receive a guest speaker.
This year’s remarks were given by Chaplin Bob Erkhart of Fort Stewart and Lt. Col. Bob Cuthbertson, garrison commander of Hunter Army Airfield.