By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Income tax deadline is Thursday
Placeholder Image

On the net:

Visit the IRS Web site at

Whether you’re still struggling to finish your taxes or you haven’t even started, remember that Thursday is the day to either postmark and mail completed returns or file for an extension.
Tax preparer Jay Hutchins of Jay’s Tax Service said traffic in his Hinesville office has picked up as the deadline nears.
“We’ve been pretty busy,” he said. “We’re seeing about 30 people a day.”
Hutchins said latecomers who want help with their taxes today and tomorrow should come ready to show their deductions, exemptions and information on dependents, as well as information on whether they purchased a home in 2009.
Though some clients have filed extensions, Hutchins said generally if you don’t owe money, “you don’t have to file an extension.”
Returns and extensions postmarked by midnight April 15 are considered on time by the Internal Revenue Service, but post offices county-wide will be open only during regular operating hours, so residents should make sure their returns are placed in outgoing mail before the end of the business day on Thursday.


The IRS provides the following tips for last-minute, do-it-yourself filers on its Web site:

File electronically
Filing electronically speeds up the process of receiving your refund, especially if you request direct deposit. The IRS estimates taxpayers can receive a refund this way in as few as 10 days.

Check the tax tables

Double-check the figures you’re using if you file with free fillable forms

Sign your form
It sounds simple enough, but it’s an often-overlooked item. You must sign and date your return, and both spouses must sign a joint return, even if only one contributed income. Anyone who was paid to prepare a return, such as an accountant, must also sign it.

Know where to send the check
If you owe money, make your check out to “United States Treasury” and send it with, but not attached to, the tax return or the Form 1040-V Payment Voucher that came with your return. Checks should include the Social Security number of the person listed first on the return, daytime phone number, the tax year and the type of form filed.

If you can’t file your taxes, file an extension

By April 15, you should either file a return or request an extension of time to file. Remember, the extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters