By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Blotter: One fast Mercury Marquis
BCN Sheriff;s blotter

From Bryan County Sheriff’s Office reports:


Hit and run: A deputy was sent July 26 to a Piercefield Drive address because a woman said her car was sideswiped at mile marker 88 by a car with a South Carolina license plate. Someone else saw it, too. A caller to 911 said he followed the car for a while and confirmed the accident and tag number.


Simple battery: A deputy went to a Serenity Drive address in South Bryan on Saturday “regarding a man who had been drinking, had dilated eyes, and was unable to respond to verbal commands,” a report said. There, he spoke to the man’s wife, who said her husband was over at a neighbor’s house “drinking alcoholic beverages” when another neighbor came over and “began arguing with (the man with dilated eyes) regarding their respective children,” according to a report.

According to the wife, that man’s son had choked their son, and he also head-butted her husband.

The deputy “did observe a large mark on (the man’s) forehead.”

His wife told the deputy her husband “had been unable to communicate with her and when asked his name she stated that he gave an answer that was not his real name,” the deputy reported.

“He did this again in my presence after (his wife) told him what he said, and stated ‘right now I am Sha Ka Koola,” though he did state his real name seconds prior to this.”

The wife told the deputy where the man who allegedly head butted her husband lived, and the deputy told her to take photos of her husband’s injury and that she could go to magistrate’s court to take out warrants on the man.

The husband, meanwhile, initially declined to press charges then told the deputy he’d wait until morning to decide.

The deputy then went to talk to the other man, and “he supported the story that they had been arguing about their respective children. (He) then stated that (the other man’s 11-year-old son) was ‘dangerous.’”

The man acknowledged they argued but said it never got physical. The deputy then went to talk to the neighbor where the fight allegedly occurred, and he said he didn’t see the men trade blows, but they were arguing so he separated them and the first man was taken home.

The deputy then went to a third address to speak to two other witnesses, and one said he saw the two men pushing each other. He also said the first man lunged at the alleged head-butter, but he wasn’t sure if they made contact. “Both men stated they transported (the first man) back to his residence and helped him to get on his couch. They stated that (he) fell off the couch and hit his head face first on the floor. This was the second time they stated they witnessed him fall.”

Speeding, etc: A deputy was on patrol around Carter Town Road around 4:30 p.m. when he spotted an older Mercury Marquis he estimated “traveling close to 100 MPH based on” his training and experience.

“I activated my front antenna and clocked the Mercury at 101 mph,” the deputy reported, so the deputy proceeded to pull the car over at a Carter Town Road address. The driver, however, tried to take a left and “skidded through a ditch nearly overturning the vehicle,” then drove on through a yard and parked behind a shed.

The deputy blocked the driveway with his car, and the driver got out of the car, walked up and apologized to the deputy for speeding but said he had a belt break and he was trying to get home.

The man then told the deputy his Florida license “was suspended for numerous offences,” the report said, and he was arrested. Bryan County EMS was also called because the man said he “was feeling sick and had a severe rash on his body.”


From Richmond Hill Police Department reports:

Marijuana possession, other: An officer stopped a car on I-95 around 2:30 a.m. July 23 with “an inoperable tag light, inoperable left and center high brake lights, and a bumper attached with tape,” according to a report.

The officer also noted the vehicle registration was expired and “neither the driver nor the front passenger were wearing their safety restraints as required by law.”

What’s more, the officer “could smell an odor consistent with that of burnt marijuana coming from within the vehicle,” and he spotted “a marijuana grinder in plain view on the passenger floorboard.”

The officer told the driver what he saw, etc., and “the driver (a man) who was identifying and presenting himself as a female, stated they had smoked marijuana earlier,” the report said, and he was asked to step out of the car. “The front passenger, (another man) who was identifying himself as a female was also asked to step to exit the vehicle.”
Initially, both men denied owning the pot or the grinder. Eventually, the passenger claimed ownership. He was taken to jail.


Suspended license, etc:  An officer on patrol at 2 a.m. July 22 saw a red car tailgating a white car on Highway 17 near Harris Trail.

The officer followed the red car and checked its tag through dispatch and it “resulted in a possible wanted person.”
The officer pulled the car over in the White Oak subdivision and the driver “stepped outside his vehicle demanding to know the reason for the traffic stop,” the report said, noting the officer told the man to get back in his car and “wait for instructions.”

The driver then requested the officer’s supervisor “because he believed the traffic stop was unwarranted and that officer was racial profiling,” the report said. An RHPD captain then arrived to take charge.

After checking on the man’s “wanted” status, it turned out he was wanted in Hall County “with instructions to hold within 50 miles (Richmond Hill exceeds the 50 mile radius). Central Dispatch also advised (the man’s) operator license was suspended with a suspension date of (April 9).”

The man was not held on the warrant, but he was arrested. He was cited for driving with a suspended license, and given warnings for following too close, an inoperable brake light, cracked windshield and “improper exhaust system.”

The man was released on bond.



Matter of record: A Cypress Point Drive resident went to RHPD on July 20 to report he went into his garage on July 17 “and discovered his cat had been intentionally killed.” The man said “the cat had been killed by someone soaking cat food in anti-freeze, then leaving it in the garage for the cat to ingest.”

The man gave the officer two names, and said they were the only two who had access to his condo. But he also said he can’t prove either of those people was responsible. He wanted a report made to document the incident.


Theft: The man who reported his cat had been poisoned also reported the theft of numerous gold pieces missing with “an aggregate value of $14,000.” The man said he’d had to go to the hospital “on or around July 9,” and had let a friend stay in his condo.

“According to (the man), he got an uneasy feeling about (the friend) staying in his condo, so he elected to not go to the hospital, but return home instead.”
When he got home, he found the woman coming out of his bedroom, “even though he had explicitly told her that the room was off limits to her.” The man said when he went in, he found the gold missing.

The man showed the officer a text he sent the woman demanding she return the gold, and the officer also saw “a very polite return text from (the woman) informing (the man) that she had no idea what he was talking about.”
The man said if he didn’t get his gold back, he was going to press charges. The officer tried to call the woman, but she hadn’t set up her voice mail and the officer was asked to try again later.

The woman was one of two people named by the man as suspects in the poisoning of his cat.


Matter of record: The same man who reported the poisoned cat and theft of gold reported a “friend and co-worker” told him on July 2 that he was short on cash “and offered to let him hold a small hang gun (make, model, caliber unknown) in exchange for $350. (He) said he accepted the offer but when it came time to return the gun and collect his $350, (the co-worker) refused to give him his money back.”

The man said if he got his money back he’d forget the whole thing, but if he didn’t he was going to press charges.

The officer then called the co-worker, who said “he had offered to sell the gun to (the man), and (the man) took him up on the deal. (He) stated that as far as he was concerned (the man) now owned the gun and he did not owe him any money, nor was he going to buy the gun back ….”

The officer explained to the man that his was a civil matter. The co-worker was the other person named by the man as a suspect in the poisoning death of his cat.





Sign up for our E-Newsletters