Bill Helms, commander of American Legion Post 27, faces this week's questions:
1. What do you feel is your greatest achievement?
Serving in the military for 22 years and being an aircraft crew chief for three NASA astronauts on Project Mercury (1959-1963).
2. What, to you, is perfect happiness?
Having a caring, loving spouse and great children.
3. What one material possession would you save in the event of a fire (assuming your family was safe)?
My wife’s pictures. She passed away two years ago.
4. What's the best advice you've ever been given?
My father used to say to me: “Son, if you can’t respect the people around you, then you shouldn’t be with them.”
5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Have better health.
6. What is your greatest fear?
Losing a family member.
7. What real or fictional person do you most identify with?
Gen. George Patton. I like adventure.
8. What is your greatest extravagance?
My Honda Gold Wing motorcycle.
9. If money weren't an object, how would you spend your time?
Traveling around the world.
10. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
Making people laugh. To me, laughter is the best medicine.
11. What trait do you most admire in another person?
Honesty and being fun to be with.
12. What trait do you most deplore in another person?
Stealing from others.
13. Who are your favorite musicians?
Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Neil Diamond and Yanni.
14. What talent would you most like to have?
To be able to sing.