By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
School locks down following bomb threat
No devices, weapons found; Incident under investigation
Parents talk on cell phones and stare across Harris Trail Road at Richmond Hill High School on Friday morning during a lockdown of the campus following a bomb threat that was called in to the school. - photo by Julia Harison

A lockdown Friday morning at Richmond Hill High School caused by a bomb threat was lifted around 1 p.m. after local and state law enforcement officials found no devices or weapons on the school grounds.

Many parents gathered alongside Harris Trail Road awaiting information as no one was allowed on or off the school campus as the school was being searched.

Richmond Hill Police Chief Billy Reynolds said around 11 a.m. during a briefing that the day’s events began with a call that a student on campus had a weapon.

“The school received a call this morning of an alleged student having a weapon. We found the student and found no weapon,” he said.

Shortly thereafter, the school received a bomb threat.

“A little later on they received a bomb call that there was a bomb in the school, and that was pretty much all that was said,” the chief told reporters.

At that point, Reynolds said a Chatham County bomb-sniffing K-9 unit was called to help search the school, which included a room-by-room check of all the school’s buildings.
No students were hurt, Reynolds said, and he didn’t think anyone was in danger.

“We get a threat, we have to check it out,” he said, noting that it would have been up to the school system to request an evacuation, which did not occur.

Cyndy Glasscock was one of the many parents gathered across the street from the school’s entrance, waiting to see how events played out.

“I’m just proud that the law enforcement officials are taking this so seriously and handling this so well,” she said. “I have a son inside, it’s scary to see all this going on, but I would far rather see this than see them underreact and take a chance with a child.”
By 1:20 p.m., the search was complete and school was back in session.

“Richmond Hill High School has been given an ‘all clear’ by law enforcement and we look forward to them having a productive rest of their day and wonderful three day weekend,” Bryan County School Superintendent Dr. Paul Brooksher said in an emailed statement around 1:30 p.m. “I want to thank local law enforcement, the RHHS students and staff for handling a difficult situation in a very professional manner.”

At presstime, there were no suspects, and the two calls were still under investigation, according to reports.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters