View Mobile Site

Firefighters battle separate blazes

POSTED: January 27, 2014 1:42 p.m.
Bryan County Emergency Services/Special to the News

Firefighters battle a blaze Saturday.

View Larger


Firefighters with Bryan County Emergency Services, Pembroke and the Richmond Hill Fire Department battled both a brush fire and two structure fires Saturday.

No injuries were reported and the fires are still under investigation to determine what caused them, according to a press release from BCES.

The first fire was reported about mid-day, when firefighters with BCES and RHFD were

dispatched to a grass/brush fire. It got busier from there.

From the release, which did not provide locations:

“The first arriving units found a fast-moving fire threatening several structures. After a fast fire attack on the head of the fire the fire was quickly contained and apparatus were assigned to protect the structures. Georgia Forestry was also dispatched and arrived on scene where they put a fire break around the area. BCES Battalion Chief Deva Strode was in charge of the incident.

Shortly after the brush fire on the south end, BCES and Pembroke Fire Departments were dispatched to an explosion and fire of a shed near a local residence. Upon arrival firefighters found a fully involved shed that was threatening the residence. Again, following another fast attack on the fire and exposure protection, the residence only suffered minor siding damage. Unfortunately, the shed and all its contents were destroyed in the fire.

As soon as the north end firefighters got back to their assigned stations they received another call to a house on fire. The first arriving units found a fully engulfed fire threatening several other surrounding houses. The occupants of the house had evacuated the structure prior to firefighters’ arrival. Firefighters laid lines to protect the exposures as they attacked the house fire. Water supply was the only major concern and mutual aid calls for water tankers were made toEffinghamCountyand Southside Fire Departments. The firefighters stayed on scene for several hours to get the fire extinguished and completely under control. Pembroke Fire Chief Peter Waters was in command of both structure fires.

At this time the source of each of these fires is undetermined.”


Commenting is not available.


  • Bookmark and Share

Please wait ...